This 1872 retail building originally had twice the street presence as it has
today. In 1924, half of the building was purchased to make way for the new
Stephen F. Austin Hotel. The building's facade was altered on numerous
occasions, but the most dramatic change occurred when the building
assumed an eclectic French Modern look in the 1970's, leaving none of the
original facade. In 1999, it was decided to return the building back to its
original architectural styling. Using historic photographs taken of Congress
Avenue at varying distances from the building and studying other
buildings of the same era, proportions and detailing were determined.





previous project                                                    return to renovations index                                                     next project